SWEET POTATO ZUCCHINI FALAFAL
This is a gluten-free, vegan recipe we put together while staying with Gerard in England! The zucchini adds a beautifully sweet touch of moisture to what otherwise might be a dry mix.
Note that the yield may differ substantially from our stated yield: when we made these the first time in England, we used a small sweet potato and zucchini and made 14 falafel. We’ve made over 30 falafel with one batch using a big sweet potato and zucchini! You can turn this from an entree into a great party platter by reducing the size of the falafel, as well.
- Zucchini - one, grated
- Sweet potato - two, small, or one medium
- Chickpeas - two cans
- Gluten-free flour - 1/2 cup
- Corn meal - 1/4 cup tablespoons
- Cumin - 2 tablespoons
- Coriander - 1 tablespoon
- Garlic - three cloves
- White and black sesame seeds to coat
- Preheat oven to 180c / 375f and prepare baking sheets - either lightly oil or put parchment paper down
- Poke holes into sweet potato with a fork, wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave for at least 3 minutes - this may take longer if it’s a large sweet potato!
- While sweet potato microwaves, blend or hand mash garlic, spices, and chickpeas together till they form a fine mash - not fully through, chunky.
- It’s possible that the sweet potato is still microwaving, but either way - grate up that zucchini and combine it with the mashed up mix of garlic and chickpeas.
- Add the sweet potato to the mix! You can keep the skin on for a chunky version, or take just the insides for a smoother consistency.
- Add the flours into the mix, making sure that the flour is completely absorbed by the moisture from the sweet potato and zucchini. Nobody wants chunks of flour in their falafel!
- Roll mix into balls, coat with sesame seeds, and put on baking tray
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through the bake
Rate our recipe!
Thanks for reading our recipe and we really hope you enjoyed it! We're always happy to get feedback on the quality our recipes provided - if you liked it, make sure you click on the fifth ⭐ to give this recipe a top-notch rating.